Why I wasn’t afraid to quit

Hi everyone! So I know I have been the worst blogger as of late and I haven’t published a post since the middle of September. I don’t know why but I have just lacked motivation to blog, I mean this is the fourth version of this blog post which I had already written but didn’t end up publishing it. I have been wanting to get back into blogging as I have had a surge of ideas but I didn’t want to just jump back in as if I had never been away and even since drafting this post a lot has changed and I just wanted to write a post to kind of explain what has been going on and how I am feeling.

Just over a month ago I started a new job.

A month later and I have quit.

Yes, that’s right, I quit. After only a month. Let me explain why. The role I had was an administrator at a referral centre for child and adolescent mental health services. The core tasks of my role were to take calls and log referrals that came through via email and over the phone. If I had published the post I wrote a week or so ago I would have talked about how I was enjoying my job but was struggling with it. One of the things I had the biggest problem with was being on the phones. Although it wasn’t a call centre per say, it was a very call centre environment as we had to wear a headset all day and were constantly taking calls. I also didn’t have a manager from halfway through my third week as they weren’t doing a very good job.

However, the main reason I finally decided to quit my job was because it was damaging for my mental health. I was waking up practically every morning feeling anxious and sick and I couldn’t even explain why and I felt so out of control of it. It was so much pressure and I was making constant mistakes which I knew other staff members were picking up on and it just got too much for me eventually. I was going to stick it out for a couple more weeks but I just thought to myself why should I muddle through for another couple of weeks to feel the same way and end up making the same decision.

The thing about the whole situation was that I don’t regret it in the slightest. When I left on Friday, knowing that I didn’t have to go back, it was like a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt so at peace with the decision. The major problem with anxiety is that its a vicious cycle as you get anxious about something but then get anxious about being anxious. I am lucky in the sense that I don’t have any major responsibilities and I have saved my wage pretty well over the last month so have a bit to see me through for a month or two so I don’t have to rush into another job. However, I would always put my mental health first no matter what. I would much rather be healthy and happy and not have a lot of money than having money but miserable in my job and be as anxious as I was in this job.

In terms of my blogging comeback, I hope to get one post out a week at least. Hopefully this will be more manageable whilst I am not working particularly. I have some fun posts I want to share so I am excited to get back into it.

Thanks for reading!

Abbie. X

7 thoughts on “Why I wasn’t afraid to quit

1. Corinne and Kirsty says:

I think quitting is something really brave because you pushes you into the unknown. No more jobs. But it is important that you make the decisions that are best for you! xx corinne

2. New York Cliche says:

Quitting a job is an incredibly difficult thing to do! I think it’s amazing you assessed it was damaging your mental health and that’s just not worth it! So I’ll say, congrats on putting your health first!

3. A Cup of Wonderland says:

I love your honesty and bravery in this post! Well done you for putting your mental health first because a job which damages it, really isn’t worth it. x

4. Susanne says:

I am sure it wasn’t easy to write this post, but I am glad you did. You’re right, your mental health and well-being is more important, and admitting this is often hard to do. I hope you find something that suits you more soon – if you want to. xo

5. lisabethwestwood says:

Quitting a job is never easy and there are so many pressures for you to stick it out. But foregrounding your mental health is so important and I’m glad to hear that you are feeling happier now. Good luck with getting back into blogging, I have recently returned too and it is both exciting/a bit scary.

Lisabeth

6. Kirsty M says:

I totally understand what this feels like as I quit my job of almost 3 years towards the end of last year because it had really started to affect my mental health and even my family life because of how miserable and moody I was. I had enough money to tide me over for a few months so I kind of gave myself a mental health break but I haven’t had a lot of luck on the job front because of the area I live in. I have turned to blogging in my spare time and it’s almost like a little part time job because of the opportunities I get here and there. Good luck with your job search and comeback to blogging! 🙂 x

astoldbykirsty.co.uk

7. monicawongblog says:

I had a very similar experience except mine lasted a year! If you’re suffering from anxiety, that’s your body telling you that you shouldn’t be doing what you’re and to leave the situation. Everything became better and I eventually earnt three times the previous job. It all works out in the end. Put yourself out there and you’ll find something rewarding! Thewongblog.com