Let’s talk about social media pods

Hi everyone! So this post was going to be a bit of a gripe originally but I thought I would actually make it a more informative post. So if you are a blogger you are likely to be aware of ‘pods’. They are often used on social media to boost engagement. I’ve read that they are most commonly used on Facebook, twitter and Instagram, although I only have experience of using them on twitter and Instagram as I don’t have a page for my blog on Facebook. I thought it would be a good idea to share my experiences of using pods on both platforms.

On Instagram, the idea of a pod is to ask other members to like or comment whereas on twitter the idea is that you share your latest post with other members and they comment on it and you comment on their posts. In honesty, my experience of Instagram pods was better than my experience of comment pods on twitter. I liked being in an Instagram pod because not only did it get me engagement, which is the purpose of it, when I left the pod these peoples still followed me and still like my posts and vise versa. Also, I like finding new people on Instagram so it was useful to have this interaction. The only reason I left was because it was constant and I’m not great at Instagram.

In comparison, I didn’t have as great an experience of comment pods on twitter. I actually recently joined a comment pod on twitter for the first time although I left it a couple of days later. The problem I have with comment pods is the comments people leave. Just to give some context I have this thing about leaving long thought out comments. I often think when I’m leaving people blog comments that I wish people would leave me comments like the ones I leave. I feel like if you are going to go to the effort of leaving someone a comment it needs to at least look like you’ve read the post and actually have something to say about it rather than saying great post or something super generic. I also think that I put so much effort into a post that a generic comment feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth.

This is why I have a problem with comment pods. Yeah, I got 29 views and 10 comments on my latest post but some are ridiculously generic. I mean some aren’t too bad as I can tell they’ve read it to some extent but I’d rather have a few well though out comments than loads of generic ones. Comment pods get a bit of a bad rep anyway because the comments come off as a bit fake and to be honest I have to agree. I think I maybe wasn’t in a pod with the right kind of people but it’s probably not something I would do again. I think one of the best ways to get comments is comment swaps such as the Teacup Club meetings (run by the lovely Bre) because that way you don’t have to comment on absolutely everyone’s as well as get more engagement.

That’s all I really have to say. I just want to say if pods work well for you then don’t be put off by my opinions. Have you had any experience of pods? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

Abbie. X

8 thoughts on “Let’s talk about social media pods

1. lifeasloismay says:

I joined an instagram pod but left pretty early on. I joined one where the content I was seeing I didn’t relate to the other bloggers. Not everyone liked everyones stuff and I felt it wasn’t organic. I prefer comment swaps like #teacupclub. Some people do tend to write such a generic comment but I like to really engage with what the blogger says and read the posts. I know I love getting comments where you can tell the blogger has engaged and enjoys the content so I do the same in return. I don’t think that I will be joining any pods in the future let’s say that.
    Lois x

2. Kayleigh Zara says:

I’ve always had a really good experience with comment pods, with Instagram the same couldn’t be said – especially when people don’t comment or spam the page with tons of posts everyday! I agree the teacuphour is amazing it’s one of my favourites too x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

3. anthropolojay says:

So much yes to this. I agree. I use comment pods occasionally because I find that it may help some readers to become AWARE of my blog – it’s not so much for the comment itself but for potential new readers!
    But yes, a lot of people in comment pods just want a number on their blog. And it’s so annoying when people leave comments with absolutely no thought put into them! “Great post!” Like, at least put a little bit of effort into it haha!
    Thanks for sharing this post, I definitely agree with all of this. I am so-so about comment pods.

Jaycee | anthropolojay.com

4. Paris C. 🦆 (@71featherst) says:

Thank you for this post because I actually had no idea what these pod things everyone was talking about were! Direct comment swapping and comment pods are always such a trouble because people are commenting for the sake of it! I definitely agree that Teacup Club is good because you don’t have to comment on any specific post, just as long as you comment on two – so you can pick two that you really do have something to say to!

Paris x

5. girlingamba says:

I’m so indifferent about social media pods. I’ve never been in an Instagram pod or a Twitter pod, but I’ve participated in Twitter comment swaps (I’m still new at this so I’m not sure if this is the same thing). I agree with you that I wish I got thoughtful comments on my posts as I have left on others. Ultimately, I know sometimes that there aren’t always going to be topics that I feel passionate about. For example, I like beauty reviews, but I don’t have much to comment about other than “I really want to try that lipstick out”. But when I come across thought-provoking posts like this one, I definitely feel a strong sense to comment and leave longer replies.

-GG

6. Chloe Lauren says:

I have only just started getting to grips with these commenting groups but it doesn’t always work for me. I comment on most of the posts like you are supposed to but I don’t get the same. Sometimes It is a bit disheartening. Oh well!